Sunday, August 16, 2009

Vintage mania

Last Thursday I finally made my way to Shareen Vintage. It's been open for a couple months but not very widely publicized. The owner, Shareen, originally opened a store in LA and now has a shop in Chelsea. It's on the 2nd floor of a walkup with no distinct storefront signs. The only thing that identifies the shop is that it has a red fluffy prom dress hanging out from the window, on the 2nd floor fire escape.

I was doubtful that I would find anything since I got there around 8:00 p.m. and the shop opens from 5:00 - 10:00 p.m. However, I found myself picking pieces after pieces of amazing vintage finds! I must've tried on at least ten pieces of clothing...and decided to indulge myself and got the following. I love every single piece below and they were all under $100 and in mint condition! I'm definitely going back for more. The only thing to remember is that there is no fitting room, but if you're used to braving the sample sales, like I am, then you'll be fine. I suggest wearing a strapless bra and presentable underwear.










Necklaces - Urban Outfitters (1st & 2nd photo), BCBG (3rd, 4th & 5th photo)
Bangles - Yochi
Talon ring - Made Her Think
Booties - Tashkent by Cheyenne

This dress is so fabulous I have no other word to describe it. It is floral in the prettiest pastels, with a sweetheart neckline, ruching in the midriff to cover any lumps! I love a dress with a bubble hemline. The elastic midriff also ensures minimal restriction when it comes to a night out with a big meal and dancing! At $42, I can't ask for a better deal!






Black slip dress - part of a Jill Stuart dress
Necklace - wedding gift
Ring - wedding ring and ring from my mom
Bag - Kooba
Clutch - Alexis Hudson
Lace-up booties - Bronx Shoes
Mary janes - Marc by Marc Jacobs
...and Bono, my dog, hanging in the background.

This lace tunic was what I have been looking for all these years! It's the perfect length and size, and a gorgeous drop-waist hemline. The buttons were missing on the back and there was a minor hole, but at $20, it's an unbeatable bargain. Shareen suggested I take the one button on the back, sew it to the top closure and leave the back open. I also patched the minor hole and there I have a perfect vinatge lace tunic!






Necklaces - wedding gift (1st photo), BCBG (2nd & 3rd)
Bracelet - from my mom
Clutch - Passionfruit NYC
Sandals - Pedro Garcia

This dress costs $52 but makes me feel like a million-dollar underwater princess. The seafoam green and wavy pleated layers of chiffon make me think of a green sea anemone. The tiers and lightness of the fabric create a flowy movement that is beyond ethereal....if only I knew how to do the foxtrot!












Bracelet - same as above
Clutch - same as above
Sandal - same as above

This pastel purple dress is the epitome of elegant Hollywood glam. I love everything about it: the neckline, the embellishment, the color, the plissé fabric. Most of all, it's the perfect length. It's so rare that I find an evening dress that is the perfect length and under $100. Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment