Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy 50th Birthday Barbie!

One of the many surprisingly simple pleasures from my Paris trip was the discovery of the celebration display of Barbie's 50th birthday. Growing up I played with Barbies and one Ken (yes, I have many Barbies, but only one Ken, and no, I'm not supporting polygamy. Barbie was just way more interesting). My Barbies had the most fabulous outfits, but when I saw the display at Galaries Lafayettes, I was blown away! The outfits were designed by world-renowned designers, especially for Barbie's big Five-O! I have to say, I'm rather jealous and wish I owned some of the amazing outfits. A girl can dream, n'est-ce pas? Enjoy! 

The French Barbie

Left to right outfits by: AF Vandevorst and Corinne Cobson

Left to right outfits by: Junko Shimada and Marithé & François Girbaud

Left to right outfits by: Lutz and Atsuro Tayama

Left to right outfits by: Kenzo and Louis Féraud

Left to right outfits by: Emilio Pucci and John Ribbe

An amazing piece of haute couture by Özlen Süer. I imagine Barbie will get married in this.

Left to right outfits by: Paule Ka, Emeric (my favorite by far...so glamourous!) and Chantal Thomass

Left to right outfits by: Sonia Rykiel and Maison Martin Margiela (can you really wear hair as clothing?)



Left to right outfits by: Léonard and Diane von Furstenberg

Left to right outfits by: Emmanuel Ungaro, Costume National and Dice Kayek

Left to right outfits by: Christian Lacroix and Lesage

Barbie may wear this for her wedding...maybe a second husband that is not Ken?

Or she could wear this  amazing gown by Dentelle avec le Franc Ferrant to her wedding reception?

Left to right outfits by: Karl Lagerfeld and Jean-Paul Gaultier

Barbie in the 1962.

Barbie in 1959.

Barbie in a beauty pageant outfit.

Left to right outfits by: Agatha Ruiz de la Prada and Jean-Charles de Castelbajac

Left to right outfits by: Angelo Tarlazzi, Catherine Malandrino and Zucca

Left to right outfits by: Cacherel and Gérard Darel

Left to right outfits by: Marc Le Bihan, Popy Moreni and Georges Rech

Left to right outfits by: All vintage

Twist and turn Barbie and Malibu Barbie

Left to right outfits by: All vintage

Outfit by Manish Arora

Left to right outfits by: not sure, can't read the bag, and Fatima Lopes

Left to right outfits by: Veronique Branqinho and Giambattista Valli (I know this looks like a cupcake, but I love this dress!)


Left to right outfits by: Gaspard Yurkievich and E2

No comments:

Post a Comment